Sunday, October 12, 2008

#5 and Still Alive


So last Saturday I finished my fifth St. George marathon and just like all of the previous marathons, I thought that was the stupidiest thing I've ever done. I'll never ever do that again as long as I live. This time I didn't say it, I just thought it. When we started the race it was drizzling a little bit but it was fairly warm compared to years past. I didn't think it was going to be so bad once the rain stopped. Well the rain never stopped and at times got worse. It poured on us and the wind blew making our already wet bodies so cold. Needless to say the rain never did let up but for some reason my body did not mind. It was the best my legs had ever felt. I never had to take my ibuprofin or excedrin and didn't have to get the icy hot rub down at mile 18 that I always count on. I think because it was so frigid that my legs were numb and couldn't feel any of the normal pain associated with the run. I have always known there wasn't a chance in he** that I could ever qualify for Boston like all of my other running chicas, but i have always wanted to beat the 4-hour mark. I do not run with a watch or garmin so i didn't know exactly how I was doing until I turned down the one street and saw the clock that sadi 3:53. I had seven minutes to get my sorry wet butt to the finish line. I usually like the turn my music off the last few miles and listen to all the people in town cheering us on, but I had to dig deep. So I turned my ipod back on and pumped up the volume and took off. When I crossed the finish line it was 4:00:47. My chip time ended up being 3:59:37. I finally did it. I was wet, cold, sore and miserable but I had finally accomplished my goal. So now, once again let me say, I hope I never do that again! Whatever!!!

11 comments:

Angi said...

Of course you will do it again! You kicked its soggy little arse this year! Besides, I will need you there at the miserable starting line next year to make me giggle.

Katy and Rob Bodily said...

Good job on the run! What was the song that was playing on your ipod down the stretch. It was fun seeing you the other day.

daisy said...

Way to go Annette! Isn't it a great feeling to say, "I ran the marathon in 3:....." who cares what comes after. Everyone is impressed with a 3 something marathon, as they should be. Great job in breaking the 4 hour barrier.

Mindi said...

typical annette--smokin' hot babe even soaking wet.
you are a champion, my girl.

ps i must think once a week about your little guy's "snowcone? donut? chunky monkey? story. seriously one of my favorites.

sara and wade said...

wow. seriously. i'm so impressed! you are amazing. thanks for getting wade to finally run a marathon and being an inspiration to me to get my butt in gear someday. you're one hot mama!

Lesley said...

What friends that qualify for Boston? Jessie? Homegirl, we need you there to tell us muff stories!

Carpools and Casseroles... said...

What a marathon...memorable for so many reasons! I'm so glad you did so well! You are amazing!!
Another one down...

Bill and Rowene Vest said...

Way to go Annette! We're so proud of you. You are amazing! I can't even imagine doing that even once in my lifetime. You have done it 5 times. WOW! Keep up the good work. If you do go to Boston that would be so fun to come with and we would be the camera men. You're such a great example in our family. You and Wader are my heroes this year.

Brandi said...

Oh my I came here on a whim thinking "Annette hasn't posted anything in forever. Why am I expecting that to change?" Well doubt now more. You posted!

I can't believe you did it, again! You are seriously A-mazing! I don't know how you do it. I'm SO, SO impressed. And congrats on breaking the 4hr mark. That is awesome. luv ya! :)

Kent and Emily Cook said...

You Rock!!! Come run the Zurich marathon next year. We'll sit our lazy arses on the sideline and cheer you on to a sub-3:40 qualifier for Boston.

Totally fantastic.

Joe and Amy said...

You know you'll do it again. I remember you telling us a couple of years ago that you were done and forget the 10 year club. You're halfway there.